Sunday, May 11, 2008

Le Menestrel, Medieval City of Carcassonne France.

Medieval City of Carcassonne.

Made a trip to the medieval city of Carcassonne. It about an hour by trian from Toulouse. Before we left for Carcassonne, our training instructor recommended that we have the cassoulet. With that in mind, when wew arrived at the city, it was the first agenda for the day, have lunch. We wondered into the city which was a castle rebuilt from a Roman ruined castle in the 13th century. Having lunch inside a medieval castle, thats a first for me. After looking around, we settled for this place as it was the only place that had seatings during lunch time.
Of course I had to try the local fare. Order the Occitane menu which was a set lunch menu for 20 euro each. Chose the fioe gra (fatten duck liver) salad and of course the cassoulet. Till now I did not know what was suppose to be inside the cassoulet. As this is my second time having fioe gra , the first time was my last trip to Toulouse 3 years back, can't remember much about the taste, I found it very intersting in a good way.
The cassoulet turned out to be baked beans (not in tomato sauce like in Malaysia) with a huge pork sausage and roasted duck thigh. Some of my colleugues could finish it as maybe the dish was too rich in meat but I finish it till the last bean and liked it. I definately would eat this cassoulet again before I go.
To wash the fioe gra and cassoulet down, I had the local draft beer 1664. I had noticed that beer in France is much more expensive that the other places in Europe. Maybe its because that they produce wine more. The lunch can with apple pie with ice cream, I was so full that I could eat any more. Gave away my apple pie to my wife for her taste buds enjoyment.

Scenes inside the medieval castle.


Salad with Fioe Gras.
Poulet with Chips.
Cassoulet
1664 draft.
Apple Pie with Ice cream.

No comments: